home page

events

contacts

links

Organs

Aims 

miscellaneous

Archived Newsletters

Archived Events

thirskorgan2

          thirsk

St. Mary's Parish Church, Kirkgate, Thirsk, North Yorkshire

 

St. Mary’s Parish Church, built in the Perpendicular Gothic style is over 500 years old. It succeeded a Norman church, traces of which can still be seen. It is first mentioned in 1145 when Robert de Mowbray gave it to the Augustinian Canons at Newburgh Priory. They provided the Vicars to serve the church. The present building has never been altered noticeably since it was built, apart from the chancel arch. The church contains many features of historical interest to the visitor.
          The organ, one of Yorkshire’s most famous, and played at the wedding of the well known Yorkshire vet, James Herriot in 1941, has undergone, and still is undergoing, significant restoration. It has recently been rebuilt by Principal Pipe Organs.  It has three manuals with Great 11 stops, Swell 11 stops, Choir 8 stops and Pedal 8 stops. Members of the Association, with the kind help of Alan Morton, the organist, and the church warden, had a memorable visit on 21st. June, 2008.
More information about the church can be found on www.thirsk.org.uk/stmaryt1.html
More details about the organ can be found on the National Pipe Organ Register at http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=N03003